Stress: Peace Amid Pressure
Are you overwhelmed by stress? On edge? Pressured to achieve? Spinning into free fall? What is the "noise" going on inside you? Or are you quiet inside?
Here David Powlison invites you to look at Psalm 131 to learn how to quiet your soul. "Psalm 131 gives us intimate access to the inner life of someone who has learned composure," Powlison writes. "This person is quiet on the inside because he has learned the only true and lasting peace."
Psalm 131 is not about unruffled detachment or stoic indifference. It is not about having an easygoing personality or low expectations. It is about learning composure through a relationship with Jesus Christ. His presence in our lives is the only thing strong enough to overpower stress. We can say with the psalmist, "Surely I have composed and quieted my soul."
There are more other helpful booklets in the Resources for Changing Lives series:
* Anger: Escaping the Maze
* Angry at God?: Bring Him Your Doubts and Questions
* Depression: The Way Up When You Are Down
* Domestic Abuse: Help for the Sufferer
* Forgiveness: I Just Can't Forgive Myself
* Homosexuality: Speaking the Truth in Love
* Pornography: Slaying the Dragon
* Sexual Sin: Combatting the Drifting and Cheating
* Suffering: Eternity Makes a Difference
* Teens and Sex: How Should We Teach Them?