The Essence and Importance of Fasting
The Essence and Importance of Fasting in the Coptic Orthodox Church ... Fasting in Hebrew is 'Sum', meaning to cover the mouth; in Greek its 'nesteuo', meaning abstain. Fasting was not found in the Pentateuch, but it occurred in the Historical Books of; 2nd Samuel 12:16, 1st King 21:9-12, Ezra 8:21. In the Webster Dictionary, fasting means, to go without food or some kinds of food, esp. as a religious exercise.
Table of Contents:
- Definitions and Meaning
- Why is Fasting Important?
- Is Fasting Biblical?
- Type of Food during Fasting Periods
- Fasting by Pope Kyrillos VI
- Short History Account on the Different Fasts
- First: The Apostles’ Fast (Spiritual Contemplations)
- Second: Great Lent
- Third: Wednesdays & Fridays
- Fourth: Fast of Nineveh
- Fifth: Nativity Fast
- Sixth: St. Mary’s Fast